Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Writer Envy

It's a common thing: writers who sit around crying into their coffee about the success of others.

"S/he got a better deal."
"S/he is getting more/better reviews."
"S/he isn't as good a writer as me."
"Why not me?"

I get it, but I don't--and won't--subscribe to that kind of thinking.

I don't begrudge anyone their success. I know what kind of work it takes to create a workable schedule and stick to it. I know how hard it is to push words onto a page in some kind of fashion that's both interesting and readable. Our writing might look easy or trite or but it never is--make no mistake it's hard work.

I'm one of those weird creatures who is happy for anyone who gets a book deal. Good books on the shelves means more books for me to read. I am, after all, first and foremost a reader. My love for writing came after that first love.

I won't measure my successes (or failures) against someone else's yardstick. And my self-esteem is resilient enough that I don't need to drag someone else down to make myself feel better.

I won't do it. I won't envy others their success. Even if in time people envy me mine, I'll still be the first one to say, "Congratulations!" and mean it.

Envy only leads to misery, and I like being a happy writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment